Meeting Recap – 15th Sep 2020
It was a special night last Tuesday, as we had a Ladies’ Night themed meeting, where we celebrate the empowerment of strong ladies role models in our society and within our club.
And we had a record turn out, where we had 41 total attending audiences, of which 16 were guests, 7 were visiting members and 18 BSC members.
Meeting started on time at 7:30pm with the Sergeant-at-arms (SAA) introduction by Wilson Kong VC1*, before passing the floor to our Toastmaster of the Evening (TME) Syatrah Roslan SR3*, where she shared her thought of the day and asked her role players to introduce their roles.
Syatrah’s thought of the day was a quote from Michelle Obama, “Success is only meaningful and enjoyable if it feels like your own.” And she further elaborated that everyone knows what it feels like to work hard. But watching your progress, achieving your goals through your own dedication. This makes your hard work more meaningful and fulfilling.
Role players for the night were made up entirely of strong women, and they also shared their proudest achievement as ladies.
1. Table Topics Master (TTM) by Sophiana Chua IP2*, and she’s proud of a nine-drawer wooden chest she built years ago in a woodwork class.
2. Table Topics Evaluator (TTE) by Rahmat Tarsat EC3*, thought she was the most clueless about English in her group, but felt vindicated when she got an A in her “Teaching English” course.
3. Grammarian by Heidi Rahman CC*, was extremely satisfied with her achievement of raising 3 responsible children. Heidi also introduced her word of the day, which was ‘indelible’.
4. Ah-Counter & Who-Said-What by Supatra Lee CC ALB*, was very pleased for getting into a prominent business school with a strict acceptance rate, the Imperial College London, to start her MBA.
5. Timer & Tip by TM* Izati Abdullah, was simply proud of her achievement in realizing that she stumbles through life, makes mistakes and in turn, having the awareness to learn and grow from it.
6. General Evaluator (GE) by Ruey Chong-Narcis ACS ALS*, cited her most meaningful achievement is being available to support other Toastmasters who put in the effort to be a better version of themselves.
With the conclusion of the introduction segment, we moved on to the speech segment of the meeting and it started with the Table Topics hosted by Sophiana, and we had a total of 6 speakers for the night and all of the topics presented were quotes from prominent woman thought leaders in our society.
1. First speaker was Philip and his topic was “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is to be understood”.
2. Second speaker was Sharon and her topic was “Peace begins with a smile”.
3. Third speaker was guest Hakeen, and his topic was “Behind every successful woman, is a tribe of successful men”.
4. Fourth speaker was guest Era, and her topic was “People will forget what you said, what you gave them, they will never forget how you make them feel”.
5. Fifth speaker was also guest Martina, and her topic was “Friendship between women is different than friendship between man”.
6. Last speaker for the night was Pranika, and her topic was “If you get give, if you learn teach”.
Every speaker put on a good show in their sport impromptu speech, and the winner of the Best Table Topic Speaker after voting from the floor was Pranika.
We next moved on to the prepared speech.
First speech was by DTM DL2* Allen Ang with speech titled “My Disney Princess Angela”. But before we hear from Allen, we first listened to the objective of the speech by his evaluator, Ted Jee PM4*.
The second speech was by TM* Nazri Saman, with his speech titled “My Experience with Keto”, and we first heard from his evaluator, Lai Ling Ling PM5 TC1* on the speech objective.
After the speech segment and a brief recess of 5 minutes, the meeting resumed with the evaluation segment which was led by our GE Ruey, where she proceeded to ask each of the role players and evaluators to present their reports.
The reporting were in the following order:
1. Table topics evaluation by Rahmat
2. First prepared speech evaluation by Ted
3. Second prepared speech evaluation by Ling Ling
4. Grammarian report by Heidi
5. Ah-Counter report by Supatra
6. Timer report by Izati
7. GE report by Ruey
With the conclusion of the reporting segment, the floor was subsequently passed to our President, Rano Iskandar ACG ALB* for his closing remarks as well as announcement of the Best Evaluator which went to Ling Ling.
The night ended with members and guests enjoying supper at the nearby McDonalds.
VC1 = Visionary Communicator Level 1
SR3 = Strategic Relationship Level 3
IP2 = Innovative Planning Level 2
EC3 = Effective Coaching Level 3
CC = Competent Communicator
CC, ALB = Competent Communicator, Advanced Leader Bronze
TM = Toastmaster
ACS, ALS = Advanced Communicator Silver, Advanced Leader Silver
DTM, DL2 = Distinguished Toastmaster, Dynamic Leadership Level 2
PM4 = Presentation Mastery Level 4
PM5 TC1 = Presentation Mastery Level 5, Team Collaboration Level 1
ACG ALB = Advanced Communicator Gold, Advanced Leader Bronze
Writer – Ted Jee
Photographer – Sophiana Chua, Wilson Kong, Ted Jee