Meeting Recap – 8th Sept 2020
Tonight was extra special, as we had not one, not two, not three, but four visiting members all the way from Seria’s Otters Toastmaster club visiting us. Definitely a worthy night to remember.
Meeting started on time at 7:30pm with the usual toastmaster introduction from our Sergeant-at-arms (SAA) Wilson Kong VC1*, as well as guests introduction.
We had 4 guests on Tuesday, Sufi, Song, Basil and Yatii. Yatii was a past president of Otters who came with Basil.
With the conclusion of the SAA introduction, the floor was passed over to the Toastmaster of the Evening (TME), DTM* Allen Ang, where he started the meeting by getting each of his role players to introduce themselves and their roles during the meeting.
The list of role players were:
1. Table Topics Master, Lai Ling Ling PM5 TC2*
2. Table Topics Evaluator, Ivan Yong IP1*
3. Grammarian, Aziman Nasir DL5*
4. Ah-Counter & Who-Said-What, TM* Izati Abdullah
5. Timer & Tip, TM* Nazri Saman
6. General Evaluator, Chetan Anand LD2*
Allen also shared his thought of the day, which was a quote by Martin Luther King:
“Not everybody can be famous but everybody can be great because greatness is determined by service… You only need a heart full of grace and a soul generated by love.”
The speech portion of the meeting began with Ling Ling taking over as Table Topics Master (TTM) and her theme was to pay homage to the people who made an impact in your life.
And we had a total of 4 table topic speakers for the night and they were:
1. First speaker, Justin who’s topic was “Who look up to you the most and why?”
2. Second speaker, Khai who’s topic was “Who do you trust the most and why?”
3. Third speaker, Yatii who’s topic was “ What act of kindness will you never forget and why?”
4. Fourth speaker, Heidi who’s topic was “Who are you the most thankful for and why?”
With the conclusion of table topics, audience members casted their votes to select the best table topic speakers and the winner was Heidi.
Next up, we had 3 prepared speeches and they were:
1. Syahnur Nizam PI4*, speech titled “Be Aware of the Dunning-Kruger Effect”
2. Rano Iskandar ACG ALB*, speech titled “My Moment of Truth”
3. Wilson Kong VC1*, speech titled “The 3D of Leadership”
With the conclusion of the speech portion of the meeting, we took a 7 minutes break, where everyone mingled and had some snacks provided by our SAA.
The evaluation segment of the meeting started with our General Evaluator (GE) Chetan Anand taking over from our TME.
Chetan called upon each of the evaluators and role players to present their report one by one, and they were in the following order:
1. Table Topics Evaluator, Ivan Yong
2. Prepared speech evaluator, Megat Arif EC2*
3. Prepared speech evaluator, Amran Jamaluddin CC CL*
4. Prepared speech evaluator, Ted Jee PM4*
5. Grammarian, Aziman Nasir DL5*
6. Ah-Counter & Who-Said-What, TM* Izati Abdullah
7. Timer, TM* Nazri Saman
8. General Evaluator report, Chetan Anand LD2*
With the conclusion of the all the reporting, the floor was passed to our President, Rano Iskandar, for his closing remarks, announcement of Best Evaluator award which went to Ted Jee, as well as conduct of other business, before calling the meeting adjourned.
VC1 = Visionary Communicator Level 1
DTM = Distinguished Toastmaster
PM5, TC2 = Presentation Mastery Proficient, Team Collaboration Level 2
IP1 = Innovative Planning Level 1
DL5 = Dynamic Leadership Proficient
TM = Toastmaster
LD2 = Leadership Development Level 2
PI4 = Persuasive Influence Level 4
ACG, ALB = Advanced Communicator Gold, Advanced Leader Bronze
EC2 = Effective Coaching Level 2
CC, CL = Competent Communicator, Competent Leader
PM4 = Presentation Mastery Level 4
Writer – Ted Jee
Photographer – Wilson Kong, Ted Jee