The meeting on 3rd October 2017 started punctually and energetically at 7.30pm. It was opened by the Sergeant at Arms, TM Awfa Nawawi, who then passed the floor to the Toastmaster of the Evening (TME), Rahul Breh, CC.
The following members were introduced as the evening's role-players:
- Gerald Goh, CC, ALB - Table Topics Master (TTM)
- Geneviève Lai, DTM - Table Topics Evaluator (TTE)
- Lai Ling Ling, CC- Grammarian
- TM Sophiana Chua - Ah Counter & 'Who Said What'
- Pooja Shivanand, CC, ALB - Time & Tip
- TM Lim Mei Ann - General Evaluator (GE)
Word of the Day was PROPITIOUS.
It is an alternative to the words below:
FAVOURABLE, AUSPICIOUS, PROMISING, ADVANTAGEOUS
Pooja has observed that we make more mistakes when we stay on stage longer. Hence, her 'Tip of the Day' was to stand up, speak up and stop on time. She could also say,
"Stand up, speak up, wrap up".
This is an example of an epistrophe (also known as epiphora).
TME's 'Thought of the Day' was:
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it ~ Henry David Thoreau
Rahul shared his opinion that one would come on time for club meeting if one respects Toastmasters.
Prepared Speech #1
TM Wong Hui Ting began her Pathways journey by sharing her love of food. Food is known to have a large influence and it made up a big portion of Hui Ting's social life until it took a toll on her because she became an emotional eater. Now she uses mindful therapy when it comes to eating. In this way, Hui Ting is able to stop being obsessive with thoughts about food. (This speech was evaluated by Allen Ang, DTM.)
Prepared Speech #2
TM Jidun Dollah, for his CC9 project, shared a real life story about a 30 years old, hardworking Bruneian man, who had a beautiful wife, and a propitious career in future. The story ended tragically - the man passed away from a heart attack. In Jidun's CC9 speech, we have been persuaded to have a heart check and to start a healthier lifestyle, which includes exercising. (This speech was evaluated by Stuart Lee, ACS, ALB. Stuart was Best Evaluator of the evening.)
Hui Ting wins Best Speaker
Haryati wins Best Table Topics
Table Topics, from Gerald to...
- Rano Iskandar, ACB, ALB: What’s the one thing you really want, but you cannot afford?
- Nothing, because what he has now and what he is doing now is priceless...
- Rahmat Tarsat, CC, ALB: What fictional place would you like to visit?
- Too many...
- Amran Jamaluddin, CC: What is the most popular, yet annoying, question people have asked you?
- "When [are you getting married], Amran?
- Guest Aqilah: What job would you be terrible at? Why?
- Sales, and this is because there is a need to be genuine in sales.
- TM Suneeta Pathak: What skills would you like to master?
- With jest, talking sweetly. Without seriousness, sales. With sincerity, photography.
- TM Hjh Haryati Hj Abd Gafur: What is the best compliment you every receive?
- "You have pretty eyebrows."
- Rueben Chin, ACS, ALB: If you didn't have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
In this meeting, BSC celebrated 1st quarter milestones achieved by members. Notably, the members celebrated were Aziman Nasir, ACB, ALB, Gerald Goh, CC, ALB, and Ong Yin, CL. Aziman has been our most steadfast member, who attended every club meetings. Ironically, that one meeting he did not attend was on the evening we celebrated his achievement. In this 1st quarter of BSC 2017/2018 Term, Gerald achieved his CC status, while Ong Yin scored the highest ratio of no. of roles taken up to no. of meetings attended.
From left to right: Pooja, Jidun, Gerald, Ong Yin, Rano
Writer: TM Lim Mei Ann
Photographer: TM Hjh Haryati Hj Abd Gafur & Rano Iskandar, ACB, ALB
Proofreader: TM Lim Mei Ann