Last Tuesday’s meeting theme was about becoming a servant-leader. And the thought of the day that was shared was a quote from the late Mahatma Gandhi, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
The essence of it is to allow someone to truly know who they are, what they are made of, and what they are made for, they will need to lose themselves in serving other people for a much greater good. Basically by adopting the servant-leader mindset.
And the Toastmaster of the Evening (TME), encouraged the audience to think how they can within the same week, seek to serve others more, thus making them a servant-leader in the process.
The meeting on Tuesday, 25th August 2020, started on time. And the usual agenda was laid out with the first intro from our Sergeant-at-arms (SAA), Wilson Kong VC1*, who started with the introduction of toastmasters, reciting the mission statement, showcasing the educational pathways available to members, as well as getting guests to introduce themselves.
Upon completion of the SAA introduction, the meeting was then officially handed over to the TME, Ted Jee PM4* as the host of the evening. Ted shared the agenda for the evening, and later called upon his team of role players to introduce their individual roles.
There were a total of 6 role players for the night apart from the TME, and each of them took turns to stand up and gave a brief introduction of their roles.
1. Heidi Rahman CC*, was the Table Topics Master (TTM).
2. TM* Philip Mooi, was the Table Topics Evaluator (TTE).
3. Syahnur Nizam PI4*, was the Grammarian for the night and he also introduced the word of the day, which was ‘Elated’.
4. TM* Izati Abdullah was the Ah-Counter & Who-Said-What.
5. Supatra Lee CC ALB*, was our Timer & Tip for the night.
6. Last but not least, Lai Ling Ling PM5 TC2*, was our General Evaluator (GE) for the night, and her role was to lead the evaluation session of the meeting and provide her feedback to the individual role-players and evaluators.
With the conclusion of the introduction, the meeting then proceeded with the table topics session led by Heidi Rahman.
And we had 5 table topic speakers for the night.
1. First speaker was Wilson whose question was “Would you rather have less or more work that you enjoyed doing?”
2. Second speaker was Afiq whose question was “If you could instill one piece of advice for an intern, what would it be?”
3. Third speaker was Rano whose question was “Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?”
4. Fourth speaker was Niven whose question was “What do you imagine yourself doing 10 years from now?”
5. Fifth and last speaker for the night was Amran whose question was “What impact do you want to leave when you move to another job?”
Next up was the prepared speeches and we had 2 speeches for the night.
First speech was from Sharon Lim PM2*, who’s attempting her Level 3 Part 2 project, Connect with Storytelling, and her speech title was “Camping at Temburong”.
Prior to Sharon delivering her speech, we first heard from her speech evaluator, Allen Ang DTM DL2*, on the speech objective and how she will be evaluated on.
Sharon shared how her camping trip turned into a nightmare with red ants attacking her and her friend due to the presence of confectionaries which they brought along but had totally forgotten about.
Second speech was from Syatrah Roslan SR3*, who was attempting her Level 4 Part 1 project, Public Relations Strategies, and her speech title was “PR Strategy for Cat Heaven”.
But first, we heard from her speech evaluator Wong Hui Ting EC2*, on the speech objective and what she will be looking for in her evaluation.
Syatrah presented her public relations strategy to get her brother’s new cat boarding house called Cat Heaven through the use of social media channel, and also engaging in social media influencers to achieve her objective.
We took a 7 minutes break with the conclusion of the speech segment of the meeting.
Meeting resumed with Lai Ling Ling taking over the evaluation session as GE. And she called upon each of her evaluators to deliver their individual report.
1. Philip delivering his table topic evaluation report.
2. Heidi presenting the best table topic speaker and the winner was Afiq.
3. Allen delivered his speech evaluation for Sharon’s speech earlier.
4. Hui Ting delivered her speech evaluation for Syatrah’s earlier speech.
5. Syahnur delivered his Grammarian report.
6. Izati delivered her Ah-Counter report.
7. Supatra delivered her Timer report.
With the completion of the evaluation session, the meeting was handed over to our President, Rano Iskandar ACB ALB* for his closing remarks, presentation of the best evaluator award which went to Allen, and concluding the meeting for the night.
VC1 = Visionary Communicator Level 1
PM4 = Presentation Mastery Level 4
CC = Competent Communicator
TM = Toastmaster
PI4 = Persuasive Influence Level 4
CC, ALB = Competent Communicator, Advanced Leader Bronze
PM5, TC2 = Presentation Mastery Proficient, Team Collaboration Level 2
PM2 = Presentation Mastery Level 2
DTM, DL2 = Distinguished Toastmaster, Dynamic Leadership Level 2
SR3 = Strategic Relations Level 3
EC2 = Effective Coaching Level 2
ACB, ALB = Advanced Communicator Bronze, Advanced Leader Bronze
Writer – Ted Jee
Photographer – Wilson Kong